Monday

[cooking] Herb Garden

I went to the farmer's market on Saturday to pick up some plants. I don't have a green thumb and haven't really planted anything before. The lady from Four Springs Farm was very kind and helped me out after I asked her, "I'd like some herbs... What, uh, what should I do?" I bought several, went to Longacres Nursery for the windowbox, soil, and a couple more herbs. At home, after assembling:



Left to right: Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Flat Leaf Parsley, Oregano, Cilantro



Basil Bush. This is a weird little bush. I don't think it's going to be the regular pesto-making Sweet Basil, rather it will mostly be something I add in small doses to.. I'm not too sure what I'll add this to.



Rosemary and Thyme. I'm hoping this small little Rosemary plant will get HUGE. Thyme is one of my favorites.



Flat Leaf Parsley, Oregano, Cilantro. I've already snipped and used a little bit of the cilantro.



Chives. Not enough room in the box. I'll have to pick up more herbs next weekend and another box...

6 comments:

kaszeta said...

Since you're new to this... if the box is someplace it can get rain, make sure the windowbox has drainage (many boxes come with a plug in the bottom that you should pull out). Otherwise, if it rains and it gets waterlogged, it won't drain.

Sarah said...

Good work! Four Springs Farm is right by our house and where we get our CSA veggies. Ginny, the farmer, is great. Enjoy!

Hannah said...

Use the cilantro quickly! I was so excited to grow it and eat cilantro all summer but it doesn't work that way. It goes to seed in short order and then doesn't taste very good, so gobble it up while you can.

Angela said...

I think that at the end of the summer you can bring your Rosemary in, and it will continue to thrive. Actually I think most of your herbs will... (but I know about Rosemary from experience.)

Amanda said...

Hey just a little more advice...The thyme, oregano and rosemary, and chives are perrenial and come back every year (at least they do in nc I am in zone 7). At the end of the season you might want to put them in the same pot and mulch them for winter. The oregano will die back, but will come up again in spring. Both the rosemary and the oregano will get quite big, maybe even big enough for their own pots. As for best flavor, make sure you pinch the flower buds as you see them, after the herbs set flowers the taste does change quite a bit.

KC said...

Great little garden!
I was just catching up on my blog reading when much to my surprise I read that you had purchased your herbs from my Mom!It's a small world! I think you will really enjoy your Spicy Globe Basil, I started growing it when I was little and I think the flavor is lighter and more spicy than regular basil so I use it when I just need a little and it is an important part of the dish. It is especially good in salad and salad dressings! Just give it a "Hair Cut" when you need some!