Thursday

[books] Good News and Bad News

There's a new issue of Bookslut up. There are all kinds of interesting interviews and reviews. Also, I've selected China Mieville's Perdido Street Station to read next. I don't usually announce what book I'm going to read because it sounds like I'm awarding them a prize: I choose you, book, to entertain me next. Congratulations. I've been meaning to read this one for a while and all the glowing reviews really impressed me. I'm talking glowing reviews: "This book knocked my socks off," "This is the best book I've ever read in my life," "The most stunning book ever," etc. AND there's a blurb from Neil Gaiman on the cover. Shit, I don't know why I waited so long before cracking into it.

But at Bookslut, Adam Lipkin reviews Mieville's newest book, Iron Council and says of it: "Although not as god-awfully unreadable as the immensely overrated Perdido Street Station (whose popularity can be ascribed to either a massive desire within fandom to break out of the Tolkienesque mold, or a sheeplike tendency to worship the Hot Author of the Day, depending on how charitable one feels), MiƩville does his best to undermine every good paragraph with at least two pages of utter junk."

Wh... What? Unreadable? Overrated? We'll see about, Lipkin. If it turns out to be one of the best- nay, THE BEST book I've ever read, you'll be hearing from me...

No comments: