Thursday

[misc] Traveling Woman

Traveling Woman shawl


Pattern: Traveling Woman by Feministy

Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort, yellow (2 skeins), purple (0.9 skein)

Needles: US 6 (4 mm)

Traveling Woman shawl


Modifications: Lots. Here's what the original pattern looks like. My changes:

- striped the stockinette portion
- used a make-one left and right rather than yarn-overs along the spine
- did the double decreases in the lace section as: slip 2 stitches together as if to knit, k1, psso (makes a very nice straight spine)
- did an extra repeat of the first lace chart but didn’t have enough yarn to finish second lace chart
- And had to bind off w/the purple (ran out of yelllow)

Also, after I had cast off but before I blocked, I saw some shawls by a woman on Ravelry that had a pretty loopy edge. I asked her how she did it and she said she does a stretchy bind off (either exactly or nearly the same as the one I do) and threads her blocking wires through the purl bump of each stitch. I gave it a try:

Traveling Woman shawl


I love eet! The loops aren't very big (I think be/c I was using dk-weight yarn w/US 6 needles... or, I didn't thread the wires through the appropriate leg of the bound off stitches) but it's so pretty and a nice little detail!

1 comment:

Sara said...

It is gorgeous! It is also on my list to make...