Tuesday

Cooking

This year I have a "Joy of Cooking" page-a-day desk calendar. So far, it’s been all right. I use the actual cookbook a lot at home because it covers the basics and techniques of cooking really well. But I’m not so sure about these tid-bits of advice/info I’m reading everyday. Yesterday’s was “Ideas for Tea Sandwiches”, one of which had caviar as a main ingredient. PPppbt. How about egg salad or peanut butter and jelly? That’s more my style.

So today’s lesson is about Stone Crabs. Here’s what interested me most: “When this crab is caught, one claw is snapped off, and the crab is returned to the water (it’s illegal to take whole stone crabs), where it will grow another claw.” And here I am thinking, hey man, just because they can grow their claws back, that doesn’t mean you should rip them off and toss the crabs back. I almost think it’d be more humane to kill the whole crab rather than dismembering it. But apparently, that’s illegal. Here’s something else to add to my list:

Current list of things I refuse to eat (due to allergies and/or morals):
1. Tropical Fruits
2. Feta Cheese
3. Kittens
4. Stone Crabs

No comments: