Friday

[crochet] Lots of WIPs

The Macy Beanie crocheted hat was featured on the front page of Ravelry a little while ago. It would be perfect for all my balls of Elann Impromptu with long color changed. I bought the pattern and started one:

It took a few tries but I think I finally got the hang of this pattern. #crochet

This is after I got the hang of the pattern. I gave it three tries and was ready to give up on it but then it clicked. There are a couple aspects to the pattern that could be explained more clearly:

1) SC in 3rd loop. A graphic in the pattern of how to make this stitch would help immensely. The designer just released a revised pattern that simply advises you to check out YouTube videos on how to perform this stitch. Personally, I have no qualms about free patterns advising you to look up techniques- how to do a provisional cast on, pick up stitches, whatever. But for a pay-for pattern, I think that should be included in the pattern. 

Anyway, from looking at the pictures and seeing how one row should have the top chain of the stitches pointing out, I found a loop (I think it's the 3rd one) to stitch into.

2) Puff stitch. Again, a graphic would help. At the back of crochet doily books (at least, the Leisure Arts ones that I use), there's a picture in the back that shows you how to perform special stitches. The way this pattern is written, you skip a stitch, do a HDC, go back and do a puff stitch in the skipped stitch. I was trying to do this solely in the skipped stitch while trying to hold the HDC toward the back of the work. I think you're meant to do the puff stitch in the skipped stitch but also around the HDC. Wrapping the HDC with all puff stitch yarnovers. Not a big deal but I did spend one very frustrated evening on making a few weird looking puff stitches and considered giving up.

I figured it out and the pattern started moving along rapidly. A 60 row band is too small for me. I finished the above hat (lots of yarn leftover) and started another with an 80 row band:

Macy Beanie #2

I do like the pattern. It's a yarn gobbler and the result is very pretty.

###

I couldn't resist starting a new pattern this week when I saw it released:

What is it going to be?

It's going to be a Baby Nut. A baby Planters peanut from the Super Bowl commercial. It's going... to be... so... cute. I checked my button stash last night and I'm going to have to get some black buttons for eyes.

###

TGIF. I'm traveling next week. I'll bring the neglected D'Artagnon socks to work on. And maybe finish??

1 comment:

NLI said...

Thank you so much for explaining the puff stitch on the Macy Beanie. I tried to email the designer through ravelry but got no response. I too was trying to hold the hdc to the back of the work and my hands were starting to hurt. It did not occur to me to wrap the hdc, but that makes it a completely different experience. What a life (and hand) saver!