Monday

[vermont] Summer Garden Critters

It's been a week since my last post. Sigh. Last week was super busy with teaching but it was the last class of the year and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. After I slept for about 16 hours. 

Then was able to spend some time around the flowerbeds- seeing what has started blooming (answer: a lot). Every morning I put out some birdseed in the driveway for the ground feeders (mourning doves, bluejays, a sweet cardinal couple have started coming, other smaller birds I can't identify) but there are three chipmunks that come and gobble the food up as fast as possible. They're pretty friendly and I've started coming out and putting the cup on the ground- waiting for them to come and start eating- so I can train them to let me pet them.

Chipmunk

Chipmunk

I've seen many cool insects this summer. This 12-spotted-skimmer dragonfly:

12-spotted skimmer dragonfly

It was large and it's wings are so interesting. I love the transparency:

12-spotted skimmer dragonfly

Red Admiral butterfly:

Red admiral butterfly

Red admiral butterfly

And this is a luna moth that I saw at work:

Noice. I’ve been trying to catch sight of a Luna moth all summer and I finally, randomly, see one at work.

And here's Penny, watching the cedar waxwings picking the fruit off this serviceberry tree:

Penny watching the waxwings

I know this small tree is very close to the house and blocking the view but it's worth it for the couple weeks that it's full of birds picking the berries. The window is open, we have the TV blaring, Penny sits right there or on the windowsill- and the birds don't care. They're only a few inches away, hopping around and eating as much as possible. I counted 7 waxwings in this tree at one point.

###

The new refrigerator was delivered last night- huzzah!! I can't wait to cook again- we've been having either take out or ramen or toast for 10 days. I'm grocery shopping after work for luxuries like eggs and milk and butter. I'll never take refrigeration for granted again.

Let's see, what's on my to-do list for the week:

- Finish the mittens
- Sew buttons onto my niece's sweater
- block a little doily

Some food prep like mincing a few heads of garlic (I like to keep it in a jar in the fridge), baking banana bread with a few janky bananas, ribs... But tonight will be kimchi jjiae. It's been too long...

No comments: