Friday

[vermont] Foraging for chanterelles

I went out yesterday, hunting for chanterelles. I keep seeing pictures of them popping up at my local farmer's market so it must be time (drenching rain followed by oppressive hear- yup, that sounds about right). I've never looked for them before but did some research on proper identification.

What I brought home:

Chanterelles

Not a lot. I wanted more but I've never picked/eaten these before so I decided it was the right amount for the first time.

Chanterelles

I picked small ones. There weren't any big groups- just a few here and there. When I saw one and knelt down to cut it, I would inevitably see cap-less stems nearby. Something was eating them. (Deer?)

What to do with the small amount? Mushroom toast. I sauteed the few I had...

Chanterelles

At the end, I finished with some dulce butter that I made a couple nights ago and scallions. I put it onto a slice of 12-grain toast and sprinkled a little parmesan on top:

Chanterelle toast

C'est magnifique. (chef's kiss) 

Picking yesterday was tough. Stomping around for an hour (trying to be noisy because bears), the bugs, the heat, the relentless bugs... But the toast was sooooooooo nice and worth it. I have to go looking again this afternoon.

No comments: