The blossoms are edible and normally I just pull apart one of the heads and sprinkle the petals over an open face sandwich (speaking of which, it's summer and all I want is smรธrrebrรธd). This time I wanted to preserve them and opted for chive blossom infused vinegars.
From left to right- coconut, apple cider and brown rice vinegars. I stuffed three pint jars full of chive blossoms and then filled with each vinegar. I used wax paper to cover the top (the vinegar reacts with metal) and used the ring to seal. Plus, I was able to write on the wax paper which jar contained which vinegar.
Then I left them in the pantry for three weeks. I took them out:
Strained the vinegar into new jars:
They're so pretty! So pink! They don't have an overtly onion or chive flavor- it's mild but delicious.
I've made an Asian soy sauce marinade with some (ribs are marinating in it for tonight). These would make pretty salad dressings. Decanted into nice bottles, this would make a pretty gift.
###
It was so nice to go grocery shopping and buy things that need refrigeration. What luxury. I bought so much Vermont Creamery cultured butter because it was essentially half price if you bought a certain amount. Butter freezes just fine, so I don't mind. And now I can do all kinds of compound butters. Some that have sounded interesting to me (based on what I have in the pantry and fridge):
- chai spice and maple
- dulse seaweed
- wakame seaweed and matcha
- carrot top maitre d'hotel
- harissa and mint





No comments:
Post a Comment