Monday

[gardening] June Flowers: Irises

June is over and it was a busy month. When I had time and the weather was nice, I walked around the flower beds to take pictures (and pull weeds). 

Last month was all about irises. 

White:

White iris popped open!

And white-purple (this is in the same clump at the white):

Next iris up... 💟

Looks like a simple purple iris but the foliage is variegated and these smell sooooooo sweet:

Variegated iris opened today. It smells so sweet. Added this last year.

Siberian irises (could probably be divided this September):

Siberian irises looking fine. 💜

Yellow irises (another patch that needs to be divided) when they were first starting to bloom:

yellow iris

This one was given to me by a coworker before she left:

Iris given to me by a coworker a year or two ago. This is the first year it has bloomed. She moved on to a different job and I no longer see her, so this is a nice reminder. 💟

I absolutely adore the color of this one (taken from work when we redid the front flower bed):

Iris from work. I have so many spots of this color at home now. But I’m not sure I got any of the yellow and white ones... #iris #garden #flowergarden #gardening #lazygardening

Nice tall, dark purple:

Love this tall dark iris that blooms after the shorter spring ones. #iris

These are from a bag of rhizomes that I got at Home Depot or Kmart years ago. They turned out to be really beautiful:

Light and dark purple iris

Same with these:

Purple and white iris

These came from my neighbor:

Iris from the neighbors

And this sweet little thing appeared in with my short spring purple irises. It was a nice little surprise and I wish I had grabbed it a separated it to give it it's only special spot. Maybe next year.

White iris with purple veins

All the irises are just about done and the daylilies are sending up scapes and getting ready to take over the show.

####

Had a good weekend. The month of June was so busy for me because of travel and teaching. I'm looking forward to a short week this week and long weekend. I need more R&R ahead of another week of teaching.

I did all of my favorite things this past weekend- gardening, cooking, crafting, avoiding house chores. 

I made pozole. This is one of Dollar's favorite meals and I'm trying to simplify the process. I brought to a boil some dried guajillo peppers (removed stem and seeds as best I could without getting super fussy about it) with onion, garlic and Mexican oregano with a little water. Then let it sit to plump up the peppers and then blended it all in my Vitamix.

What was my life like before this blender? I don't even remember. The Vitamix got the peppers so smooth, I didn't need to strain it. That was the problem with my old pozole- straining out the bits of peppers that didn't blend- trying to get a smooth base for the soup. This Vitamix is saving me time and frustration. This blender is literally extending my life and making it better. 

Anyway, that was it for the base of the soup. Pour it into a pot to cook a bit and reduce. Then add hominy, broth, shredded pork. At the end, I add greens (the CSA is in full swing and I have so many greens to use up) to make it a more well-rounded meal.

Every other month I do a big pork shoulder in the slow cooker to make a pile of shredded pork, which I freeze in smaller portions. Then I can pull out a container and let it defrost in the fridge for a week of: pulled pork quesadillas, burritos and now easy pozole.

No comments: