Thursday

[spinning] Chartreuse and Blue Tunis Finished

10oz of Tunis fiber, purchased at Maryland Sheep and Wool in 2018, spun into a light-worsted 2-ply:

Tunis


It's a lot of yarn. I don't know what I'll do with it, I'm just happy to stash-down my spinning fiber.

Tunis

I spun this on my Ashford Joy, which is a Joy like the name says.

I started spinning a big sack of seconds from Hello Yarn on my Kromski Minstrel. It's been a little rough going. I've not used this wheel since last year. I have to oil it every time I sit down at it, I had to take it off double drive and switch to scotch tension to get the take-up I like, my Woolee Winder is yanking on the yarn when I reaches the end of the flyer arm and the loop starts going back in the opposite direction... It's all kind of a pain and makes this spinning feel like a chore, rather than a joy. I'm going to have to evaluate my wheels and see if I want to sell any. Or bring it somewhere to have some Spinning Wheel Whisperer tell me what I'm doing wrong...

###

The banana chocolate chip oatmeal cookies were a success last night. I doubled this recipe and froze half the dough. The other half I put into the fridge to chill and then I baked off a dozen. I had one and the rest when to the band. Another band practice at the house tonight, so I'll bake off another dozen for this (different) band. I do enjoy baking and then giving all the cookies away.

I made my first compound butter last night with the oh-so-special cultured butter. First of all, this is what a stick looks like cut up (to soften faster):

Uggghhh. The grocery store had a crazy sale on Vermont Creamery cultured butter. Time to make compound butter for days. I’m starting with dulse seaweed once this comes to room temp.

It looks like cheese. How beautiful is that?

I mixed it with some dulse seaweed flakes (a couple generous tablespoons) and salt (half a teaspoon- which was a little too much).

Dulse butter. So good on grilled veggies, too. #dulse #seaweedbutter

It's so good- salty/umami. And good for you- lots of vitamins and minerals (although all the butterfat isn't awesome for you... but... worth it). It was great on crunchy multi-grain toast and over some pan sauteed zucchini. I'm keeping my container of dulse flakes on the counter and adding it to everything.

No comments: