Friday

[cooking] Marmalade

My local coop grocery stores had their annual citrus sale and I went last Friday to get a 20 lb box of cara cara oranges. I used a dozen for marmalade:

20lb box of cara cara oranges

Pre-marmalade

It turned out pretty good, if a little thick. 5 pints total.

Marmalade

I was so looking forward to toast with peanut butter and marmalade but I couldn't find peanut butter. I tore apart the pantry, sure I had a jar of that teddy bear brand. Siiiiiigh. Whatever, I just had toast and marmalade (eyeroll).

I also cut up some slices of a mozzarella/prosciutto roll and had some on crackers with the marmalade. THAT was amazing. 

marmalade with crackers and cheese

I also started some arnancello with a whole bottle of Everclear:

Started arancello

orange peels and everclear

It's been five days, I'll finish it this weekend. Hopefully I didn't get too much of the bitter piths with the peels... 

And I squeezed all the peeled oranges for screwdrivers all last Sunday. No regrets.

Plenty of oranges left... I might try zesting a dozen and then freezing the zest. I wouldn't mind another day of screwdrivers but I feel like I can do something else with the juice. A marinade, perhaps...

No comments: