Monday

[cooking] Babkas

I made a couple babka's this weekend.

Chocolate, before baking:

Chocolate Babka

After baking:

Chocolate Babka

Ube, before baking:

Ube Babka

After baking:

Ube Babka

Ube is a purple sweet potato used in a lot of Filipino desserts. I picked up a couple potatoes at Hmart and baked one. I skinned, mashed and mixed it with coconut milk. Then I smeared it over the dough, rolled, cut, shaped the loaf. The purple paste cracked apart a bit while the bread proofed, which makes the swirls look a little like tentacles- and I don't hate it. I kind of want to do this again with matcha- make green bread and darker green paste? Then it'll look like a green tentacle? Ooooooo.

The bread is very good. It toasts well and the ube is a pretty touch.

Ube babka

The chocolate one was cooled and then wrapped up for the freezer. I'll reheat it after Christmas, when I'm on vacation.

By the way- I love collecting shower caps from hotel rooms, so I can use them for bread proofing:

Shower caps


Shower cap over proofing bread

No comments: