Friday

[knitting] Plum Sprinkles

I'm calling the socks 'Plum Sprinkles' from now on. The colored nubbley bits remind me of the sprinkles/jimmys you get on ice cream. Here's my toe-up sock so far:



I was only able to knit three rows last night because I made two (TWO!) lasagnas- one to bake, one to freeze. I used no-cook lasagna sheets to save time but it still took three hours to prepare everything, assemble, bake and wash up. I know it'll be worth it a month or two from now, when I say, "I don't feel like cooking... I know! I'll just shove the frozen lasagna into the oven!"

Anyway, the sock. It's smooth stockinette sailing until the heel. I reckon I'll try out cosmicpluto's short-row heel tutorial.

I'm using five double-pointed needles at the moment (4 on on the sock, 1 to knit with). I think I'll move down to 4 needles (3 on the sock, 1 to knit with) until the heel, to see if the knitting goes faster. Knitting off 3 needles has got to go faster than knitting on 4, right?

The yarn itself is very nice to work with. The color bits keep it interesting and it feels squishier than Gloss. Here's a comparison of the two:

Essential TweedGloss
Knit PicksKnit Picks
65% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon, 10% Donegal 70% Merino Wool, 30% Silk
231 yards/50 gram ball 220 yards/50 gram hank
7-8 sts=1" on #1-3 needles7-8 sts=1" on #1-3 needles
Machine washHand wash
$2.99$3.99


Cheaper, better yardage, machine washable AND it feels better? In the future I will choose Essential Tweed over Gloss for socks. (For socks. Gloss may be more suited toward Fair Isle mittens or a lace scarf.)

No comments: