Wednesday

[books] Dress Your Family in Oblivion

The Onion A.V. Club reviews Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Demin and David Foster Wallace's Oblivion.

I think the review of Dress Your Family... was accurate; it felt like Sedaris was running out of material, to some extent. I'd like to amend that, actually. Sedaris may be running out of real life material, but he's proven himself to be a witty fiction writer with Barrel Fever. Those stories were some of the funniest I've ever read.

And as for Wallace... I've been meaning to read Infinite Jest for ages now and the only reason I haven't is because (a) I heard it's the type of book you either hate or adore and (b) it's over 1,000 pages.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I've managed to get an 1/8 or so through Infinite Jest. Wallace is guilty of being gimmicky--the writing styles, tenses, voices etc. change constantly--which usually annoys me, but he is so freaking smart and entertaining that I don't mind so much.

My favorite DFW book is his non-fiction book of essays, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

I did find, BTW, that while I was reading IJ, many interesting conversations got started by people who had read the book and wanted to talk to me about it, so I recommend carrying it around with you if you're looking to meet DFW fans.