Friday

[travel] Seomun Market, Daegu

Today was the last day in Daegu. Co-worker and I went to Seomun Market to check it out. Here's the entrance to the gigantic, sprawling outdoor market where you can buy anything and everything.

Seomun Market


This is one of the main drags:

Seomun Market


Shops run along either side of the walkway. Along the walking area, there are food stands where you can sit on a bench to eat.

Seomun Market


Each stand can only accommodate 3-6 people but there are dozens and dozens and dozens, so just move onto the next one if one is full. The serve all kinds of goodies, like this:

Seomun Market


That is a pile o' stuff that belongs on the inside of an animal. Looking at it was almost enough to turn me into a vegetarian. And there are loads of vendors selling that shit. To eat.

Branching off the main walking area were smaller alleys:

Seomun Market


From the smaller alleys, you could get into indoor shops. Here's one selling fabrics:

Seomun Market


It was a maze.

Seomun Market


People were selling rope, eel, shoes, herbs, buttons, f'ing ANYTHING. I had a hand-written note that one of my students wrote for me that said "Where is a knitting shop" and "I want to buy yarn" in Korean. I would show a seller and they would point me in a direction. Then I would go that way, and show someone else. Then keep going, and show someone else. Eventually, I made it to 3 (nearly identical) yarn stalls! I found yarn!

The yarn was pricier than I would have liked but I can't haggle. I bought some wooden spoons near the entrance to the market and I think I got taken. But I can't speak Korean so my haggling skill consists of holding up and item, asking how much, the seller holds up a number of fingers, I sigh, put the item back, wait... And then look at them. And they look at me. And then it's just a staring contest.

I did try holding up fingers back (e.g. they hold up five fingers, I hold up three) but they thought that was how many I was asking for.

Later, back around our hotel, we went down to the supermarket to spend leftover money. We decided to get "interesting" drinks. I got a can of pumpkin drink and he got a can of drink with an ice cream cone on the front. In the checkout line, I saw some English writing on his can and asked, "Did you see this- 'Cheese Ice Cream'. I think you're buying cheese ice cream soda." Even better, he said. Outside, we opened our cans and tasted. Mine tasted like cold pumpkin soup and his did, in fact, taste like cheese and like ice cream at the same time. We only made it half-way through our drinks before throwing them away.

Farewell, Daegu. Thank you for the interesting food and memories.

No comments: