Monday

[travel] Korea- Not for Vegetarians.

Some pictures from the bus ride back to the hotel after work:

Daegu


Daegu


Daegu


There are lots of gardens along the river banks:

Garden


My co-worker and I went out to supper. The poor guy is a vegetarian and Korea is not a place for vegetarians. Every place we go, we hold out our tour books and point to "I am a vegetarian" written in Korean and every woman that runs the restaurant shakes her head and says, "No." Still, he's a good sport and we stay because there's always rice and all the vegetable side dishes. And I get all the meat.

This one place only served pork and only served it in two ways at that. I pointed at the picture that looked like bacon strips rather than the one that looked like suspicous kinds of spam. Here's what we got:

Supper


After it cooked for a while and she came to cut it up into bite-sized pieces with scissors:

Supper


And all the delicious sides:

Supper


Supper


I tell you what- this is the way to eat. It's cheap, it's tasty, it's good for you (well, maybe not the fatty bacon but all the garlic and veggies are).

1 comment:

Angela said...

I feel for your co-worker! At least here you could substitute things, but man, not being able to fluently speak the language... ack I wouldn't eat until I was back in the states!