Tuesday

[cooking] What to do with all the zucchini and summer squash

Last night I made Hobak Chon. Just zucchini slices (thank you for the perfect rounds, mandolin) dredged in flour, egg, pan fried, then eaten with a dumpling dipping sauce. It was all right but I would have preferred a not-so-eggy exterior. Next time, maybe flour, then egg, then panko flakes?

###
UPDATE

Panko flakes (Japanese breadcrumbs) were the way to go. I dredged zucchini slices in flour, dipped them in one egg beaten with a little half & half (I think the milk helps the egg stick to the flour), then panko flakes. I pan fried in a non-stick pan in a little vegetable oil. Crunchy and yummy. The only downside was that they were a little bland (will add salt and pepper to the flour next time) but I had a little dish of dumpling dipping sauce to dip the slices into.

END UPDATE
###

I also made some Chicken Fried Rice:

2-3 cups cold leftover white rice
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into quarter size pieced
1 yellow summer squash, sliced into quarter size pieces
1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
1/2 cup julienne carrots (I buy a bag already prepared this way)
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
3-4 tblsp Soy Sauce
1 tblsp Vegetable Oil
1 tblsp Toasted Sesame Oil
2 tblsp Huy Fong Chili Garlic
Vegetable stock

Heat sesame and vegetable oils in wok-shaped pan, over med-high heat, until surface of oil ripples. Add onions- stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add chicken, cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add Chili Garlic, stir, add summer squash. Add soy sauce. There should be some liquid accumulating at the bottom of the pan. Cook until squash is al dente. Add carrots and broccoli. Stir every thing together, heat through for 7 - 10 minutes. Add rice, using the liquid at the bottom of the pan to soften and break it apart (if the grains are stuck together). You should only add small amounts of vegetable stock as a last resort, if there's not enough liquid to fully separate the rice. (I use a silicone spatula to stab the rice clumps apart). Mix gently and serve hot.

Still more zucchini to deal with tonight. I'm thinking... Korean Zucchini Pancakes.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

oooh...zucchini tempura! Nummy!

amy said...

Exactly, tempura is what I want.

I made the zucchini pancakes. They were all right but I could find a way to improve on the recipe I used.

Two zucchinis down, two more to go...

amy said...

Gah! As I was posting my comment, my mother drove in and dropped off more cucumbers, summer squash and zucchini!!!