Tuesday

[knitting] And Travel

I'm going to Minneapolis tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can take my knitting onto the plane with me. Thankfully, there's a whole page concerning the transportation of knitting needles and needlepoint at the TSA website. It is permitted but if the TSA screener is a total jerk and doesn't like the way I'm holding my needles (or that fact that they're covered with blood), he could deny me. Further:

1. Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length.

Not a problem.

2. We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)

Fine. I only like bamboo anyway.

3. Scissors must have blunt points

I'm not even going to try bring scissors. Maybe some nail clippers in case I need to snip a length of yarn.

4. In case the screener does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.

"Surrender them at the security check point"? I don't think so. I'll never surrender my knitting!

5. As a precautionary measure it is recommended that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint.

Okay, here's where it becomes clear to me that the person writing this proviso only had a cursory idea of what knitting might entail. A crochet hook with yarn to save my knitting? What?

And here's more on Transporting Special Items.

No comments: