Tuesday

[books] Screw required reading...

... the only thing I'm gonna read about is knitting.

The uvBookClub is meeting at my place tomorrow night and I've got to tell you, I know I won't be able to finish Drop City in time. I spent all my reading chips on Lamb. I just plan on cooking lots of food so that people will be too busy eating to notice that all my discussion questions are variations of "Did you like the book?"

Having said that, I just heard about these books:

The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomer. I like the premise (A Seattle knitting store brings together four very different women in this earnest tale about friendship and love) but it didn't get the best reviews (Unfortunately, Macomber doesn't get much below the surface of her characters, and, although they all have interesting back stories, the arc of each individual happy ending is too predictable).

Her other book only recently came out and is called A Good Yarn. The editorial review sums up: "Despite occasional draughts of treacle and a too-easy denouement, this should be another Macomber bestseller."

Hrm... I like reading and I like knitting but these books aren't sounding too hot. But wait! What's this?! Knit One, Kill Two by Maggie Sefton. "Kelly Flynn never picked up a pair of knitting needles she liked--until she strolled into House of Lambspun. Now, in the first in a brand-new series, she learns how to knit one, purl two, and untangle the mystery behind her aunt's murder." A book about knitting and murder? Aht- Aght- I can't- [coughSECRETPALcoughcough] Excuse me. Ahem. I got something caught in my throat.

No comments: