Tuesday

[vermont] Tunbridge Fair 2010

My sister and I went up to the Tunbridge Fair on Saturday morning. We had no problems parking, getting a ticket and walking right in. We always check out the horses first:

Tunbridge Fair 2010


Then onto the veggie building:

Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


We went through the Arts and Crafts building next. Then on to the animals barns:

Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


For lunch, my sister and I looked around for the Samosa Guy but we saw a tent selling Pakisani food and opted for that instead. I like that the fair offers different world cuisines in addition to the standard fair fare. We got saffron rice, two different curries and samsoas. As we were sitting at a picnic table eating, we saw this dude drive by with animatronic baboons:

Tunbridge Fair 2010


He parked at the end of the path and proceeded to stand still like a robot while his robot baboons played music and waved a flag. This dude stood still and people would stop, stare at him, at the baboons, back at him, and try to figure out if he was real or not. Small children would go up and kind of touch him but he fooled just as many grown-ups. It was funny and kind of creepy at the same time. (This guy and his automobile of baboons would fit in just as easily into a horror movie, I think. But this is coming from someone who finds the ice cream truck at circles her block, playing 'Pop Goes the Weasel', creepy as well.)

After lunch we were ready to leave. I did want to see a Goat Costume Contest at 2:30 for the sheer novelty of it but we were both kind of sick of the Fair. Maybe next year I'll have more interest when I enter my knitted stuff into competition.

As we were making our way to leave, we got caught behind a rope and had to wait for the Livestock Cavalcade to be over before they would let us cross the track. I've never seen the Cavalcade before but it was 50% "awww, that's so cute" and 50% "wtf, soooo boooored".

Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


At one point a giant cow sneezed in my general direction and a bunch of white snot went spraying out. And I was the only spaz to go, "UGHH!" out loud. Plus, now that I'm older and more... paranoid, I worried the whole time about stepping though animal poop and contracting E. coli. That's just me. But that fair has hand sanitizer attached to the end of every animal barn, which is nice.

Tunbridge Fair 2010


Tunbridge Fair 2010


These sheep were seriously so f'ing cute, with their stubby little legs, I wanted to grab up that smallest brown one and start running for the car.

Tunbridge Fair 2010


So that was it. It was very good weather this year. As we were leaving, the line to get in was unbelievable. At least 300 people deep. And the line of cars waiting to get into the fields to park was miles long. If you want to go to the fair, you should get there before 10am. We had no waiting.

I'll be going back to the fairgrounds in a couple weeks for the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival.

4 comments:

gayle said...

That looks like a much better fair than our local one...
Love all the animal photos!
I'm looking forward to Vt S&W!

Joansie said...

Great pics! I've never been to that fair but I did go to the Champlain one for the first time in 10 years. Even the craft building was not that great!!!

See you at the Sheep and Wool Festival!

Hannah said...

Yeah, I was in that line, just me and the three kiddos, and let me tell you, it SUCKED. We had just waited in traffic for 30 minutes, then walked for 15 just to get to the end of the line, then stood in line for another 30 minutes to get tickets. By the time we got in, we all wanted to go home. I've never seen the Tunbridge Fair so crowded, I spent the entire time worried that one of the kids was going to wander off and I'd never see them again. When we left, Phoebe said, "That was fun, but I wish you were in a better mood, Mama." That makes two of us.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I really really want one of those spotted piglets! But only if we can make it stay baby size. Also, the fuzzy chicken bird... cute.

I don't really dig fairs anymore. I don't know if it's just as an adult the novelty has worn off, or if it's because of spending too much time at fairs in my childhood.

~Angela