Wednesday

[knitting] I've got wood... glovelets.

Amy's glovelets.


Pattern: Eric's Glovelets

Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Sylvan Spirit

Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm)

Notes: Another project knit during my Portland trip. I had a skein of Sylvan Spirit kicking around forever and recently picked up this one-skein pattern at the Spinnery. Perfect. I used US 4 needles (instead of US 3) and there was no danger of running out of yarn.

The yarn itself is interesting:

50% Fine Wool/50% Tencel® brand Lyocell- A natural derivative of wood pulp from cultivated Southern oak and gum trees grown on land unsuitable for grazing.

Half wool, half wood!

The yarn is DK-weight and very pretty. It has a pretty sheen, I'm guessing from the Lyocell. There are color neps that add to the tweedy-ness of yarn.

Having said that, I'm not sure I like the feel of this yarn against my skin. I have no wool or other fabric allergies, so I'm blaming the Lyocell. I've washed the glovelets and they are more tolerable now, but I'm not sure how much I'll be wearing these.

The pattern is great. Very clear and no errors (that I came across). I'm tempted to get the Green Mountain Spinnery book...

UPDATE

Here's more information on Lyocell:

Lenzing Fibers
fibersource.com
Wikipedia

I've mostly seen tencel associated with sock yarns. From when I've read, tencel adds strength (even when wet) and wicks moisture away. It's worth mentioning that I washed these glovelets, laid them flat to dry on my blocking board and they were nearly dry the next day. 100% wool wouldn't have dried that fast.

4 comments:

Joansie said...

Love the mitts and especially the colorway. Have you ever been to Green Mountain Spinnery? It's suprisingly small. I used their patterns before and have been quite happy with them.

Shelby said...

Oooh, I like that it has you put the purl bumps on the outside of the palm...how clever!

I'm assuming that's what they did, anyway...you don't usually turn your stuff wrong side out when you take pictures of it...do you? Now I'm paranoid...;)

amy said...

Yeah, the reverse stockinette for the palm was interesting. A little fiddley to knit on DPNs, especially during the increases for the thumb. I got a noticeable ladder between DPNs but it went away after I washed/blocked them.

Probably wouldn't have been so bad if I was magic looping them. Now that I've added continental knitting to my arsenal, I should start some magic loop projects :)

gayle said...

Love the purple with neps - my kind of yarn! Great mitt pattern, too.
Is tencel the kind of thing that just gets softer the more it's washed? I've never used it before, but I know there are a lot of wool/tencel blends out there. There must be some reason for using it... 8)