Wednesday

[knitting] Camel Scarf

Here is the finished scarf:

Camel Scarf


Pattern: Just a basic fisherman's rib. These were the only instructions I found online that called for an odd number of stitches to be cast on. I preferred slipping the first stitch of each row for a tidy edge.

Needles: US 10

Yarn: 100% baby camel from School Products. This is a 2-ply lace-weight yarn that they wound into 3-strand cakes for a worsted-weight yarn.

The idea for this project was to make a manly scarf for Dollar to wear with his Navy pea coat. I liked the fisherman's rib because it's inelastic (it doesn't suck in like a regular 1x1 or 2x2 rib) and not fussy looking. I also decided not to make the scarf too long.

Once complete, the stitches were well defined and to be completely honest, the yarn felt a little brittle/crispy to me. The website says that your finished project will need to be washed... MACHINE WASHED. What? I did some research and read that camel fiber doesn't felt easily. I read another review of a camel blend and decided I would machine wash the scarf. But I would err on the side of caution and wash a swatch first. [tapping head] Not just a hat rack, my friend.

Check out the before and after swatches:

Camel swatches


Camel swatches


Camel swatches


Talk about bloomage! The swatch got really fluffy and soft (angora/cashmere soft). Without hesitation I threw Dollar's scarf into a delicates bag and machine washed the thing on a cold/cold delicates setting. I am so glad I used a delicates bag because it shed like crazy. After the spin cycle, I took it out of the bag and shook it- now it looks like a baby camel exploded in my basement. But the scarf- oh so soft. I ran it upstairs to dry on the blocking board and it was dry by morning (I'm used to knits taking several days to dry so that was a treat).

The only negative thing I have to say about the scarf is that it's still a little sheddy. I will periodically need to take a lint roller to the collar of Dollar's coat where the scarf rubs up against it.

I still have some of the baby camel cake of yarn left- and a whole 'nother cake. The yardage is great. I'm thinking it should be another scarf but a lacey one for me!

No comments: