Monday

[cooking] Persimmons, or What the Hell am I Supposed to do with These?

My mother did one of her gift-giving drive-bys the other day (knock knock knock "Here.") and gave me a box of fuyu (aka kaki) persimmons. I had one cut into slices and thought, "Well, it's sweet. Almost syrupy. The texture is soft-solid. It's sweet but there's no distinct flavor."

I tried one recipe out: Braised Pork with Fuyu Persimmon. I was afraid Dollar wasn't going to like this dish and/or he'd pick out the persimmons but he loved it (more than me). It's spicey, but not spicey-hot. The pork was amazing (I got the bonless ribs and cut those into chunks) and this dish would be just fine without the persimmons.

I took the rest of the persimmons and pureed them. I used one cup to try to make bread and froze the rest. I say "try to make bread" because I filled the loaf pan too full and it boiled over. Sugary, sticky dough all over the racks, the bottom of the oven (burning), the door (when I pulled the rack out), my pot holders (when I picked up the loaf pan), a cookie sheet (where I set the bubbling over sticky mess). Siiiiiiiigh. I'm not too upset because with the amount I cook, odds are I have to have a disaster every now and then. I won't even go into the burnt pasta sauce incident that left circles of charred grass all over the backyard...

So this evening I will clean the oven and maybe try making the bread again this week. I'd like to bring some to Thanksgiving dinner at my mom's but I sure there will be plenty of food for everyone even if I don't.

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I have never ever had a persimmon. I like to buy a piece of random fruit or veg at the grocery store every week if $$ allows. That's how I fell in love with asian pears, jicama and artichokes, among other things...

Christie said...

Y'know I was just over at my parent's house and my mom had a pan full of persimmons. And y'know, I don't know what the hell she's going to do with them. I think she just eats them. Plain.

nicole said...

I like persimmons in my salads.