Monday

[amy] Thanksgiving Holiday

What a holiday. It started with Dollar's birthday on Wednesday. I left work early, went home, wrapped his presents and then scooted up to my mom's to help out with Thanksgiving preparation (i.e. shell the shrimp and make a couple thousand mandu). I got home at the same time as Dollar and, since I didn't have a cake, stuck a lit match into a Hostess cupcake. He blew out his 'candle' and opened his presents. The sound damper pads for his drums were more for me but he loved his new boardgame, Memoir '44. He immediately started to read the rules while we waited to leave for his Birthday dinner at his mom's.

DOLLAR: [reading on couch]

AMY: [napping on couch]

DOLLAR: This is so cool. The fights are historically accurate. One side is Axis and the other side are the Allies.

AMY: Who's Axis?

DOLLAR: What? Germany is.

AMY: OOoohhhh... That explains the title of the game Axis and Allies. I didn't know what they meant by Axis.

DOLLAR: [reading] Hmmm...

AMY: So when Bush was talking about the Axis of Evil...

DOLLAR: He was comparing what he considers to be terrorist states to World War II Axis powers.

AMY: Oh...

DOLLAR: [reading]

AMY: [napping]

DOLLAR: Some of these games are stacked more toward one side or another, so they recommend each player take one side, then immediately switch and play the other side, and see who can get the most medals overall. [putting down rule book] That's cool that the rules say that, because you already know who the winner is going to be.

AMY: How do you know who the winner is going to be even before we play?

DOLLAR: Are we speaking in German?

AMY: Oh. The games are that accurate?

DOLLAR: It looks that way.

Then we went to his mom's for presents, a roast beef dinner and apple pie.

Thursday I went up to my mom's early for MORE Thanksgiving preparation. Make the cocktail sauce for the shrimp, set the table, pan fry the mandu and crab cakes. There were 12 of us this year for our annual Very Korean Thanksgiving. In addition to traditional Thanksgiving fare (turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots, brussels sprouts), we have things like gimbap, japchae and the aforementioned mandu. It was followed by an incredible pear cheesecake. All of it homemade, all of it amazing.

Friday night Dollar and I went to a party. My plan was to serve all kinds of hot, alcoholic drinks but I only ended up making one and I'm pretty sure I was the only one drinking it. I vaguely remember staggering around the party with coffee breath. Dollar drove home because he's good and doesn't drink. Once home, I may have pawed at his shirt once or twice before passing out half on/half off the bed.

Saturday we didn't do much at all. Ate lots of leftovers and slept. Ate, slept. Ate, slept. We did play one game of Memoir '44. I won but I think that's because I was playing on the Allied forces side.

Sunday I managed to do some chores. Dishes, laundry, tidy the craft room, do some Christmas and grocery shopping, change the sheets and duvet cover, etc. The only thing I didn't do all weekend was knit. I'm not feeling the knitting love. I have a couple unfinished projects I should finish, a couple things I said I'd make for Dollar but never did, gloves to make for my mom... Blah, it's just too much. But I need to motivate because some local knitters are getting together this week to knit. I'm going to bring the makings for a hot drink I wasn't able to make at the party Friday night.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday weekend!