Monday

[gardening] Vacation

And just like that, it's June.

I took last week off- my annual week to work in all the flowerbeds. This year the week was mostly devoted to the vegetable (victory) garden.

It went from:

Garden


Garden


To this:

Added leeks, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, watermelon, cucumbers, yellow squash, carrot (seeds).      I can’t find any more 1/2” 3 foot fencing and I’m worried about woodchucks sneaking in.


Radishes were coming up quickly:

One week and the radishes are sprouting! Loads of veg plants going in tomorrow.


I started adding weed fabric:

Veg garden


Which I ran out of and I started using cardboard:

Veg garden


I added some shorter, finer mesh fencing around the perimeter, to keep out woodchucks:

Veg Garden


Veg Garden


The radishes had to be thinned:

Radishes - before thinning


Radishes After Thinning


I washed the microgreens and had them with my lunch. I was happy to already be eating from the garden.

I'm still a little nervous about the woodchucks- esp since I've seen three little babies running around with their mama...

  I’ve seen at least three little baby bastards.   As long as they stay in the rock walls around the flowerbeds...


I think there are a couple more fence spots I can reinforce.

I planted: radishes, scallions, leeks, strawberries, tomatoes (orange, green and red zebra, purple), Asian eggplant, watermelon, yellow squash, carrots, cucumbers, jalapeno and poblano peppers. I have a few areas that I'm covering up to keep weed free- I want to do some diakon radish and kimchi cabbage from seed in a while.

The flowerbed bed did get planted:

Flowerbed Bed


90% marigolds this year. There is a perennial poppy in there that looks nice and healthy this year.

The wash tub was planted, as well:

Washtub planter


And as I was walking the perimeter of the lawn, looking for mushrooms, I saw another matching washtub over the bank by the brook. I should see if we can drag it up so I can use it!

The days were sunny and hot, which meant lugging around lots of watering cans, but I made time to relax- it was a vacation, of course.

Hammock daze...


We ordered a chicken coop and a chicken run. We're going to try raising a few chickens. Got supplies to build a couple composting bins, as well.

I did a lot of crocheting. Not a lot of cooking/baking- was too busy working outside.

I'm already planning for the next vacation. Is one week off every month too much?

No comments: