Tuesday

[baking] Strawberry rhubarb bars

Made some strawberry rhubarb bars this weekend:

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

The recipe is from Cooking Classy: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars. I've done these bars with just rhubarb, wild black raspberries, peach/blackberry. It's always good.

I happened to have some store-bought strawberries and I picked a couple stalks of rhubarb in the yard.

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

Mixed with some sugar and instant clearjel (instead of cornstarch- good for acidic fillings that will be baked).

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
\

Before baking:

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

After baking:

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

These bars are so good- a nice thick base, non-runny fruit, crispy crumb topping. I like that it's the same crumb topping for the base and the topping.

Strawberry Rhubarb Bars

I want to make these again and again but with a few modifications to make them healthier.

1.5 sticks of butter for a 9" square pan? I want to reduce this to 1 stick. Still not "healthy" but... better.
Try with whole wheat flour- with some flax meal mixed in. 
Mix in seeds? Toasted sesame seeds? Flax seeds?

I feel like the next one I bake will be a cocoa crumb with a raspberry filling. I need to use up frozen berries picked last year; the farm just posted that picking will open back up in July!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baird Republican 141 Coventry Party Votes Town Council Julie A. Blanchard Republican 1,303 Lisa D. Thomas Democrat Coach Outlet Sale 1,185 Hannah G. I thought that Anderson summation of Lindsay Lohan tweets boardered on the ridiculous commentary for the day. I found it very Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale curious that Coach Handbags Clearance despite Lindsay attempt to accept her medical and professional challenges that many of her own collegues want to disallow her to recover New Yeezy Shoes and reclaim her working career. Lindsay, believe it or not, does know what happened historically in the Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men 20 50 etc because her understudy for roles portraying Elizabeth Taylor require her to know history.

The state though still must up its game. How is what must take our most attention. Email: [email. November 3, 1993: Over 30,000 people from 20 Michael Kors Outlet Online countries gather in Pakistan for the annual convention of the Cheap Air Force Ones Markaz Dawa al Irshad, a fundamentalist organisation. Its chief announces: "We lost 35 soldiers in Kashmir last year, but Kashmir is only the gateway to India. We have to tie up with movements in Bosnia and Palestine to rescue 125 million Muslims from Hindu rule.".