Tuesday

[baking] Soft prezels

It's been a while since I posted. I was teaching last week and those days are so long. I didn't even have time (or motivation) to knit at all in the evenings. Friday afternoon, I was home with supplies to survive 14 days of isolation. I had to bake something and knit something.

Pretzels:

Pretzels  Was teaching this past week and didn’t have time to do anything other than work, eat, sleep. I am catching up on knitting and baking. Looking forward to teleworking for a while.

I have a mini-Zojirushi breadmaker that only makes 1 lb loaves. I never use it anymore since I just keep a bucket of no-knead dough in the fridge and tear off a piece when I need bread or pizza.

The recipe is Hot Buttered Soft Prezels from King Arhtur Flour. This recipe is pretty perfect: 

1. It makes 8 pretzels that fit on one half-sheet pan, so you don't end up making a ton. The salt on pretzels kind of weeps after a day or two and with only eight pretzels- they don't last two days.

2. I use my mini-Zo on the cookie setting to mix and rest the dough. I dump all the ingredients in and let it do what it needs to for 20 min: mix, rest, mix, then it turns off which is just another resting period until I get to it. Then all I have to do is cut, shape, soda-bath, rest, bake. The only hard part of the entire process is the soda bath, and that's just because I have to do the pretzels in two batches.

Maybe these pretzels won't be a weekly thing, but they could definitely be a monthly thing. My Zo would be happy to be used more.

3 comments:

cristina said...

why are you isolated? do you have the virus?

amy said...

I don't have the virus (that I know of). I'm just going to practice social distancing as much as possible.

cristina said...

oh, thank God you don't have it