Wednesday

[knitting] Herringbone Mittens

I did get knitting-olympic gold for these mittens:

Herringbone Mittens


Pattern: Herringbone Mittens (sans poms)

Needles: US 5 (3.75mm) for cuff, US 7 (4.5 mm) for hand and thumb.

Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair: 1 skein natural, 1 skein evergreen

Gold for completing the mittens, that they are colorwork and for using stash yarn...

ravlympics_mittens ravlympics_color ravlympics_stash


gold medal


I know, the original pattern I wanted to do was Wintergreen. I got nearly halfway up one mitten and had hated every minute of knitting it. Every. Minute. I knew if I finished it, I wasn't going to want to make another one. So I frogged. I'd still like to try the pattern, but with a bouncy sport-weight yarn and, like, US 7 needles.

I still wanted to make stranded mittens with the Mountain Mohair, so I grabbed the Herringbone pattern. These mittens were so much easier and faster to work on. I acutally enjoyed working on them- imagine that! My only complaint is that I think the thumbs came out too short. If I were to make them again (and I think I probably will), I'd make the thumbs three for four rows longer. I was able to block them out to be longer but unblocked, the would only have fit of you snipped off my thumbs at the first knuckle. Really.

No gold for the cabled bag. The body is done but I'm still making the i-cord and I have a zipper and fabric I'd like to sew in as a lining. But since I have no idea how to do that, the project is in cryogenic stasis. And I didn't even get to Murderface's new sweater. He's devastated- I know it.

2 comments:

Alice said...

I love your Herringbone mittens! Well done on finishing!

gayle said...

Love the Herringbone Mittens. It's a great pattern - I've made several pair. (I thrummed them, though. Seriously warm mittens.)
Poor Murderface. He was so looking forward to a new sweater... 8)