Tuesday

[knitting] Regenbogen

A new pair of socks:

Regenbogen


I'm calling them Regenbogen, which is German for "rainbow".

Yarn: Schoppel-wolle Zauberball, color #1564 "Tropical Fish", less than one ball.

Needles: US 2

Pattern: No pattern, just followed a generic toe-up recipe from More Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. I cast on 28 stitches for the toe, increased up to 60 for the foot, did a short-row heel and kept going up the leg on 60 stiches again.

Notes: In theory, I like toe-up socks but they never turn out all that well. The short-row heels are a pain to work (e.g. Pick up a wrap and purl three together through the back of the loop? That's about as much fun for me as playing Operation.), the short rows always end up holey/gappy on one side of the heel, and my bind offs on the leg are never stretchy enough not matter how loose I do them. If I do socks, I'll just go back to doing them from the leg down, with a proper heel flap.

Also, this sock yarn is a single ply, which makes me a little nervous. Going back-and-forth for the short row heels really made the yarn fuzz-up there. I think these are going to be bed socks, never to be worn with shoes. I get the feeling that the slightest agitation will wear though socks fast. But this yarn is soft and would make a nice scarf or shawl.

Also also, you can see I tried to make the colors match from the toe-up. I started the dark blue too early for the 2nd sock (the one on the left) and you can see that the colors really start to un-match from the heel up. Frick!

1 comment:

gayle said...

Don't sweat the small difference - and it really is small! Lovely socks, just lovely.
I prefer toe-up socks, but I do a flap heel. I've never liked short row heels. They don't fit my foot, and are a pain in the butt to knit.