Thursday

[amy] Small domestic disputes

Dollar is going to be away at poker tonight so that leaves me home alone. I have big plans to make miso soup. Dollar doesn't like miso soup when it get it at restaurants so I'm going to make it just for moi. Fish stock, tofu, miso and scallions. How hard can it be? I might also rehydrate some dried black mushrooms to add. I've been craving mushrooms like crazy lately. Yesterday I bought shiitake mushrooms to saute and eat with rice. Mmmm, I also like sauteed oyster mushrooms with rice. Nom nom nom.

It's probably best that the boyfriend spends an evening away. I was hopping mad at him yesterday. The alarm went off in the morning and what do I see but a light left on in the other room. I threw off the covers and stormed into the game room to see the light, Xbox, tv and dvd player on. All of it was left on all night. This happens way too often and I think it's a waste of electricity. PLUS, we had just replaced the Xbox (the old one was a piece of useless crap) and on the FIRST night we have it, it's left on all night. I turn everything off and storm back into the bedroom.

I stood at the foot of the bed for a moment, with murder (or at least serious bodily harm) on my mind. Dollar breathed slowly... evenly... totally... care... free... I resist the urge to punch him in the side of his head to wake him up. I get back in bed, then immediately get back up because I'm so hopping mad. I take a loud shower (slamming doors and drawers), stomp down to the stairs to make coffee and proceed to LOUDLY do the dishes (at 6:15 in the morning), start my car to warm it up and get my bag ready for work.

So now comes the time for the kiss good-bye. Right before I go to work, I usually sit on the side of the bed, in the quiet morning gloom, rubbing his back or chest through the covers. I gently tell him I'm off to work, have a good day, and then I kiss him good-bye. This morning, I wanted to ram by knee into his groin, wrap my hands around his neck and yell, "You f*cker! You left everything on again! I hate it when you do that- I HATE IT!"

Let's pretend I leave the house without the kiss. What if something terrible happens and that's the way things end? How terrible would that be? I would feel guilty for being so petty that I withheld a small token of love because I was mad. I can't do that, so instead I stomped over to his side of the bed and gave him a mean kiss in the cheek. It was like a headbutt but using your lips instead of your forehead. He wakes up and says, "Ow, what's wrong?" I reply, "You f*cker! You left everything on again! I hate it when you do that!" I wait. He looks at the other side of the bed to see if his nice girlfriend is there. He turns back to me and says, "Sorry." I sigh and leave for work.

We eventually resolved things (most of the blame when to my hormones and viciously crazy mood swings). In the end, it's not that big of a deal. I'm sure I do things that drive him up the wall. My socks are are one thing. If my feet get hot in the house, I'll kick off my socks wherever I am. So there are pairs of dirty socks littered throughout the house and I know it bothers him because he'll pick them up and pile them in one place.

Is there anything your significant other does that makes you want to punch them upside their head?

5 comments:

Shelby said...

Yes. Just...yes.

He takes books (paperbacks...not magazines) into the bathroom, which is all fine and good...but instead of bringing them back out of the bathroom when he's done, or finding a designated resting place FOR the book (like, hmm...the shelf above the toilet with NOTHING ELSE ON IT?), it inevitably ends up tented on the sink edge / hanging pitifully off the edge of the tub / sitting open in the hamper / etc. Doesn't sound like a huge deal unless you've seen my bathroom, which is LITERALLY the size of an airplane bathroom. I mean, people that visit my house leave calling it the Airplane Bathroom.

Megan-fruitychick.com said...

oh lord yes. I will say only this: we have cell phones so I can get a hold of him at work when I need him. I never call on that line unless its an emergency--like say, having a migraine at home with a screaming napless baby and two dogs are barking at the workers digging up our front yard to install drains. Needless to say, he didn't feel it was necessary to get back to me for over three hours. If I hadn't been wanting to die last night, I would have killed him.

Elizabeth said...

hmmmm, let me list the things.. OK I won't bore you but two things are failing to call when he's going to be late yet giving me crap if I forget to call and he NEVER wipes up the crumbs on the counter after he's done making whatever it is he's making... ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Angela said...

TV Control. He likes to hear everything in surround sound, even commercials. It drives me crazy, and I bet our neighbors too. Add to that when he's playing on the Playstation... Augh. I shut the door in the our bedroom, but it doesn't help. It drives me nuts. I am going to be hard of hearing in another year!

KC said...

Oh, yes! I totally want to kill him some days. Like when he comes thisclose to finishing something and puts the container back in the fridge, or when he eats all my chocolate because I haven’t eaten it fast enough so he thinks I don’t want it! Aggh! There are some days when the combination of my hormones and his habits make me completely crazy! Men, can't live with 'em can't smack 'em. ;)