Friday

[cooking] Potato Leek Soup

I made this Potato and Leek soup last night. This recipe was so good, I'm going to re-print it here with my slight mods:

# # #

INGREDIENTS:

* 8 potatoes (misc sized round white small – large), peeled and cubed (to the size of large marbles)
* 4 cups chicken broth (2 cans College Inn chicken broth)
* 0.5 pounds bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces (smoked, NOT maple cured)
* 1 bunch leeks, sliced (5 in my bunch, small – large)
* 1 cup half and half


DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of grease and set aside.

2. Sautee the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease 8 to 10 minutes. If some of the bacon bits don't come off the bottom of the pan, ladle a little of the chicken stock from the boiling potatoes into the pan to deglaze.

3. When the potatoes are tender, roughly mash them around the pot with the bottom of your ladle. This will make for a thicker, chowder style soup. Stir in the fried leeks, heavy cream and bacon. Stir to blend and remove from heat. Serve hot.

# # #

Usually when I cook something, I think, "It could have been better if I did this. Next time I'll do this. I don't know about this." This soup was awesome. Honestly, you could leave out the bacon, too. For vegetarians, use vegetable stock and sautee the leeks in butter. The chicken stock, though, gives the soup great flavor. No salt and pepper needed. I still can't believe how good this soup was with only 5 stupid ingredients.

No comments: