Thursday

[sewing] Face masks

Now that we're advised to swear facemasks when we go out, so many sewing patterns have popped up online. My aunt sent me a link to this pattern for our local hospital. There is a link to a PDF pattern and an instructional video. I watched the video twice and then had no problems making some:

Sewing face masks with leftover quilting fabrics.

I'm using leftover cotton fabric from past quilts I've sewn. I was very fortunate to find 1/8" elastic in my craft stash. I made a medium size one for myself and it fit perfectly, so I made more.

After sewing the two pieces of fabric together (and inserting the elastic ends) and then turning the mask right side out:

Sewing face masks

Pinning the tucks:

Sewing face masks

Sewing face masks

Sewing the around the mask edge, securing the tucks:

Sewing face masks

Sewing face masks

And sewing around the mask one more time:

Sewing face masks

Finished:

Sewing face masks

Sewing face masks

Sewing face masks

I broke out some Start Wars fabrics:

Sewing face masks

I quickly ran out of 1/8" elastic and you can see I tried some other things that I had on hand. Thicker elastic (not as comfortable) and thin elastic cord (more comfortable but harder to sew in and I don't think it's as reliable). Also, I think these novelty fabrics are part polyester and probably not as good as the 100% cotton, thicker fabric.

Sewing face masks

I've ordered more 1/8" elastic from an Esty shop- maybe it'll arrive by the end of the week (I'd love to work on more this weekend- at least I could get all the cutting done) but more likely early next week. Every actual craft store in the area seems to be out of elastic in real life and online.

I made a couple small-sized masks for my niece and gave a couple medium-sized masks to my sister and mom. The mask was loose on my sister, which surprised me. I just assumed it would fit like a glove for everyone like it did for me. But some customization to the lengths of elastic would probably be necessary for some wearers.

I've worn mine out a couple times. I was apprehensive about looking silly but no one made me feel weird. In fact, most people looked at me like, "Good job, you're doing your part."

One other good thing- I finally serviced my sewing machine. I had never done that before- changed the needle, took of the metal plate and brushed out all the lint (omg, so much lint) and put everything back together. Now it's running smoother.

No comments: