Wednesday

[baking] Rose Bundt

Testing out a bundt cake I want to enter in the fair:

Rose bundt

Baked in the rose pan- it's a vanilla cake with dragonfruit icing. I used a freeze-dried dragonfruit power that makes things so nice and pink/purple. I actually put a couple tablespoons in the batter, which looked as pink as the frosting before baking. After baking:

Rose bundt

Totally yellow. So disappointed. But the taste of the cake was great. The icing is perfect- powdered sugar, dragonfruit powder and milk, mixed up to be runny and then painted on with a pastry brush. The icing hardens a bit and gets a matte luster, which is nice. I just have to work on the superficial imperfections of cake- air bubbles in the creases of the pan that create pock marks after baking. I really don't want to bake this again before the fair, so maybe I'll spackle any holes in the next, final rose... cake.

###

Weekend Penny:

Lazy, rainy day off. Lots of napping and knitting and baking on the agenda.

No comments: