Friday

[knitting] In NYC

NYC last week was awesome. Good work stuff happening, good time in the city with my friend, good food (albeit crazy expensive good food), good yarn. Ahhh...

Here are the yarn stores I visited:

###

1. PS Yarn

Fabric and notions and yarn here. I came looking for Lily Sugar'n Cream cotton but they had none. Nor any Patons SWS. But they have lots of other Patons- Classic Merino Wool, Decor, Shetland Chunky, Brilliant, etc.

###

2. Seaport Yarn

LOTS of yarn here in a small office space. You take the elevator up and get buzzed in like you're going to visit the dentist. Inside, the hallway is packed with hand-dyed yarn. In the actual offices where people are working (I think they do lots of online orders), there's more yarn. LOTS of books patterns here, too.

###

3. School Products

Again, another yarn store up in an office space. Lots of Karabella (they own the brand- I didn't know that at the time), some Rowan and Brown Sheep. What they mostly carry are luxury yarns imported from Italy. Lots of hand-dyes that they do themselves.

###

4. Knitty City

Little shop on the Upper West Side. There was a men's knitting group meeting there when I went, which I thought was cool. Lots of yarn and colors here.

###

The one-and-only project I worked on during my trip is a secret. I can say that it's a lace project with lace-weight yarn and I'm trying not to work on ANYTHING else until I'm done with it. The lace is so light and it took me a while to get adjusted to it; I don't want to jump up to a worsted-weight project, then go back to the lace and feel like I'm knitting with a strand of cobweb.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey, on a rainy day do you want to try for the yarn shop over near Alton Bay again?