Friday

[knitting] Eunny used to be so cool

Eunny knits posh stuff. I bought her vest pattern (but still have as-yet to knit it). Her online tutorial series on steaks and lace have been very informative. Unforch, somewhere along the line something crawled up her butt and made a home for itself. Check out this post. While I rolled my eyes a bit at her beach read (Faulkner? Please. What a coincidence that he's Oprah's summer author of choice!), I took some offense to her fashion snobbery. I run around in clothes that don't match and I love my cheap-ass flip flops that only cost $5. I don't want to spend any more than that because I don't expect them to last more than a summer (trust me, anything longer gets a little smelly).

There's something to be said for getting all gussied up and going out. There's also something else to be said for women who actually have jobs and work 8-10 hours per day, have kids, have to get supper ready, do the dishes, do the laundry, do the vacuuming, attend community meetings, and still try to work in time for ourselves. So it becomes difficult to make sure the bra matches the underwear, the shoes are dead sexy, the bag is to die for, the clothes are fresh off the iron and the hair/makeup/nails are done to perfection. FUCK YOU. SOME OF US AREN'T TROPHY WIVES. I've often thought about what it would take to primp to perfection and you know what? All the waxing, exfoliating, scrubbing, moisturizing, making-up and perfecting would make the daily "getting ready" experience a 2-3 hour routine. Is it so wrong to just shit-shower-shave?

Someone please take this 23-year-old girl, fill her full of tequila, undo her chignon and let her loose at some spring break somewhere. Sister needs to go wild or she's going to regret her boring-ass life later down the line.

UPDATE
I'd like to point out that Eunny posted a comment about this entry. She's right. I don't know anything about her and apologize for my hate comments. The fact that she was able to respond in a civil manner shows she's a bigger person than I (I would have probably responded with "FUCK YOU! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!") In my defense, I have issues with... Well, I just have issues. I talked about what her post meant to me with a co-worker and with my boyfriend when I went home for lunch. I realize that my comments read more like hating-on-someone-I-don't-know.

In an effort to get the negativity out and the positive back in, I need to look at this from all angles. This is just a person who likes to knit and has specific likes and dislikes. Like anyone else. Like me. I can be outspoken and regret what I've said.

This isn't the first time I've put my foot in my mouth. As penance, I'm going to go out and perform some random acts of kindness this weekend. And I'll try not to get so worked up when I read something and take it a wrong way. Valium might help.

3 comments:

eunny said...

I'd like to gently point out that you - and no one else who reads my blog - knows one single thing about me or my life, who I am, how hard I work, what I do for fun, apart from the fact that I like to knit. Glad my blog has been useful to you in the past.

Christie said...

I'm going to weigh in on this one.

I think that it's nice when 23 year olds [not to mention high school aged girls] choose not to dress like what they see in videos and on TV. But, in her post, she had a whole laundry list of what she considered 'vulgar'. Bright colors? Flip flops? Dark jeans and heels? "It's not an issue of personal taste - it's that I find all those things vulgar." Now I may not be a fan of flip flops, but they have their place, but to call them vulgar?

It's sad that as much care and love is not put into the garments we wear today unlike the 30's and 40's. But in a society like ours, where everything is disposable and instant gratification is practically a god given right, what do you expect? I don't think parents take enough time teaching their children what's appropriate [who here remembers the female sports team that wore flip flops to the White House?] as far as clothing is concerned.

I don't know anything about either of you nor do you about me. All I'm going to say is opinions are like assholes, we all have one. You are entitled to yours as much she is to hers. I'm still going to wear my $5 tops and dark jeans with heels.

Marina said...

I agree with Christie. Eunny has has a good vocabulary, is talented and expresses herself well. But that doesn't change the obnoxious preciousness of her post.