Monday

[vermont] What do we want? Freedom!

When do we want it? NOW! What do we- wait a minute, what's going on? Someone left the following in my comments:

* * * * *
THE VERMONT INDEPENDENCE CONVENTION
An Impossible Dream or a Vision of the Future?

State House
Montpelier, Vermont

October 28, 2005
James Howard Kunstler, author of The Long Emergency, will be the keynote speaker at The Vermont Convention on Independence to be held in the House Chamber of the State House in Montpelier on Friday October 28th. Sponsored by the Second Vermont Republic, the convention, which will begin at 9:00 a.m. and conclude at 5:00 p.m., is open to the public and free of charge.

This historic event will be the first statewide convention on secession in the United States since North Carolina voted to secede from the Union on May 20, 1861.

Other speakers will include Professor Frank Bryan, UVM; Kirkpatrick Sale, author of Human Scale, J. Kevin Graffagnino, Executive Director, Vermont Historical Society; Professor Eric Davis, Middlebury College; Shay Totten, editor, Vermont Guardian; Antoine Robitaille, journalist Le Devoir (Quebec City); G. Roderick Lawrence, CEO, Stevenson Kellogg (Canada); (Rev.) Ben T. Matchstick; and General Ethan Allen (aka Jim Hogue). General Allen is expected to travel by horse to the State House.

The objectives of the convention are twofold. First, to raise the level of awareness of Vermonters of the feasibility of independence as a viable alternative to a nation which has lost its moral authority and is unsustainable. Second, to provide an example and a process for other states and nations which may be seriously considering separatism, secession, independence, and similar devolutionary strategies.

The Second Vermont Republic is a peaceful, democratic, grassroots, libertarian populist movement committed to the return of Vermont to its status as an independent republic as it once was between 1777 and 1791.
* * * * *

Apparently there's some loophole that gives Vermont the ability to become it's own country. SWEET. Well, sounds good, right? But I don't know if it'll be a good thing in the end. I just spoke with someone that thought we should grab the Adirondacks and make a new country with Quebec. I'd be down with that; I wouldn't mind saying "Montpelier" with a French accent. I can learn the metric system.

I'm taking work off on Friday to go up and see what the deal is.

4 comments:

Mark Sasahara said...

I love Vermont and when Amy is ready to bear my children, I'll come back, but Vermont doesn't have the economic muscle to go it alone.

My DOTEAn bretheren and I are always at the ready. Alas, the time of our time is not yet nigh.

Patience.

One day, Our women and children shall be free.

But for now, it's still fifty bucks, same as downtown.

amy said...

Fifty bucks! I charge a shitload more than that!

Bill said...

I fear that the Second Vermont Republic folks are largely 9/11 conspiracy wignuts. At least that's the way it seems from what I've read. I'm all for seriously considering independence, but I want serious, credulous people at the helm. If I want to live in a country run by misguided fools who believe in fairy tales and the bogeyman, I can just stay in the USA.

Mark Sasahara said...

Amy, I know that, I meant the other females.

You, my pet, are priceless. I shall lavish you with many shitloads of riches beyond your wildest dreams! (Not in front of the children dear, let's take this discussion offline).

Bill, I agree.