Friday

[cooking] Mediterranean Salsa

Knitting Club met at my place last night and there were seven (SEVEN!) knitters in attendance. Having them over made me realize I need more (a) lamps and (b) ottomans. All seven were forced to snuggle up on two couches and one arm chair. I pulled a wooden dinner chair over and sat on the outskirts, maintaining the flow of food and conversation.

I had out olives, pita chips, a baguette, hummus, endive, sautéed asparagus and snow peas, and some "Mediterranean salsa". I put it in quotes because I'm sure there must be a real word for it but I don't know what call it. Here's my recipe:

# # #

Mediterranean Salsa

5 baby eggplant (or one small/med sized eggplant)
3 plum tomatoes
1 fennel bulb
.25 red onion
salt and pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.

Peel eggplant and slice into half-inch thick slices. Layer slices on a paper towel or in a colander and generously salt. Give the slices 10-15 minutes to sweat out their bitterness (pat with paper towels).

Dice tomatoes, fennel and red onion. Place in bowl, drizzle in 4-5 tablespoons olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Mix.

Dice eggplant. Add to other ingredients, mix. Pour into baking dish. Bake for about 20 minutes, until warmed through and the eggplant is a little soft. Don't overcook or else the vegetables will get mushy (this salsa is best when the onions and fennel are still crunchy).

Spoon onto baguette slices! Yum! This is also very nice to top on fish.

Cold salsa was eaten the next day for lunch- inside a pita pocket spread with a little hummus.

# # #

I wanted to also make a Pissaladiere ("pee-salad-YAIR") from a recipe I saw in Cook's Illustrated. Caramelized onions, anchovies, nicoise olives on a pizza-ish dough? MMMMMM. But there was enough food out and besides, I should try the recipe out on my own before giving it to other people.

3 comments:

Angela said...

7 or not, I don't think anyone was "squished". It was great anyway, thanks again!

Sarah said...

D'oh! I should have asked if the salsa had chicken or eggplant. The recipe looks delish. Thanks for sharing (and hosting).

Shelby said...

It was a lot of fun...and your place is lovely...and I am obsessed with your green couch. Best. Couch. Ever!