[misc] Murderface Monday Tuesday: Post Irene Edition

Well, Vermont is pretty much wrecked. 20+ hours of non-stop rain flooded rivers, inundated homes and fields, washed away roads and covered bridges. It is absolutely heartbreaking- some people have lost everything. Dollar and I are thankful that the new house weathered the storm without incident. Our driveway didn't wash out, no water ponded anywhere around the house, the basement is dry. We are very, very thankful.

I previously mentioned that we were having "issues" with our generator. The electrician came last Wednesday to check on it (dead battery) and brought a new battery on Thursday. I was checking the status panel on it every day leading up to the storm and I was getting "Inspect Battery" and "Low Battery" warnings right away. So, the problem is deeper. Still, when we lost power on Sunday night at 5pm, there was enough juice to get the generator going. Which was awesome- we continued to do laundry, run the dishwasher, dehumidifiers, cook supper, etc. We let the generator run all night. I need to ask someone (a) how much propane my generator is using per hour, and (b) how many hours straight that it's safe to run the thing. Is it okay to run it non-stop, night and day, for days on end? Just curious, because we'll probably have to do that in the winter when we lose power, right?

Monday morning I went for a walk to the end of my road and saw a tree down across the road, but other than that our dirt road is a-ok. Hardly washed out around the edges. I'm glad I called the town last week to regrade our end (which was quite washed out). I called the town clerk in the late morning last Thursday and told her, she said she'd call the road crew and when I got home from work, it was graded/smoothed/redone. That's some pretty swift service.

The only part that took some heavy damage is a 4th class road that runs through our property, up to a small pond. The pond overflowed and the water spilled down the road. Here's how it looked Sunday afternoon:


Dollar and I walked up there yesterday at noon to see:



Which is nothing compared to the actual devastation and loss across the state, it's just amazing to see the damage that mere water can do.

Monday afternoon at 3pm, the generator crapped out. I was sitting at my computer and heard the air circulation in the house cut out. Uh... oh... I thought. A few minutes later everything stopped. I didn't get hysterical right away, that came hours later. Dollar and I were playing a board game by candlelight and I felt my way to the kitchen to fill up my glass with tap water. The water came out as a faint trickle. I lost it and started jabbering about "no water... pee outside... can't pee in the house... how can the tank be empty... i'm so thirsty..."

This was, like, 6 hours after the generator died and I was sure we were going to die next.

At midnight on the dot, the power came back on. Of course we were both fast asleep but the shrill chirp of something in the house made me get up. Light's didn't seem to be working (that's weird, since alarm clocks were flashing and our phone was working) but I sleepily started punching buttons on the home alarm console, which is where any shrill chirping in the house comes from 97% of the time, but it was not the source. I followed the sound to the laundry room, to a Carbon Monoxide detector on the ceiling. A shrill BEEP in one minute incriminates. I thought about what to do BEEP how to turn it off... It looked like there's a big button on the face of it but since we have BEEP such lovely high 9-foot ceilings, I had to go into the broom closet to get a broom and hold the stick end up to the button and... push BEEPBEEPBEEP ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I think that BEEP Ooooooh fudge. The beeping was starting to drive me insane, so I went up to get Dollar.

He came down and tried to take the thing off the ceiling (always his answer for our smoke alarm chirping at the apartment: take it down and take the batteries out. Safe!) but when he got up on a step stool and unscrewed the thing, it was attached with wires. Oh yeah, all the smoke detectors and stuff in the house are all connected. He put it back in place while I offered helpful advice like, "Maybe it's chirping because we really do have a carbon monoxide leak" and opened up a window.

It's late, we're tired and slowly being driven crazy by a chirping that we can't turn off. I head down to the basement (where the lights ARE working for some reason) to see if there's switches or something to turn on and off. I stare at the breaker box for a while before Dollar's like, "Let me see." By the grace of God, he sees that half of the switches are facing the wrong direction and flips them back to the right side. And lo, there was light upstairs and the evil chirping stopped.

That cats during all this? During the hurricane? During the generator running? The power out? The chirping? Santana wants to play and Murderface is passed out somewhere.

Isn't that right, Santana?


I thought so. Murderface, what do you think?


Of course, I forgot, you helped by eating wetfood. Yeah, that helped. A lot.


boozyknits said...

Glad to hear you and your little family are okay. I grew up in Vershire, VT, and although I will probably never live in VT again due to career choices, I still consider it a home. Santana looks quite curmudgeonly. Is she still warming up to you?

Natalie J said...

Glad to hear you're ok. Go figure the cats weren't bothered - Deuce is like that too. He's experienced a couple of medium sized earthquakes now and only so much as twitched his tail.

Nicole said...

Stopping by to check on you and I am glad to hear that you all weathered the storm. Take care!