Thursday

[house] Some assembly required

I don't think I've shown pictures of the new house, since I talked about the foundation back in November. Well, the house is coming along nicely. Here are the pieces as they were being built in the factory:

new house - pieces


new house - pieces


new house - pieces


new house - pieces


new house - pieces


new house - pieces


new house - pieces


Then they starting putting the cabinets in, which was like... so awesome. Cabinets that I picked out and helped design. Maple cabinets that are so pretty and smooth, I couldn't stop rubbing my hands all over them. This kitchen is going to be the bomb.

Here's a little office area, with a couple hanging file drawers, mail slots, that open area which will have shelves for cookbooks. I forget what kind of panel that is on the back there, but it was suggested by the kitchen and bath designer at LaValley's and it's gorgeous.

New House Cabinets


Spot for the double-ovens:

New House Cabinets


Open spaces for microwave, fridge, dishwasher, gas range, hood. Countertops will be granite and will be installed on site.

New House Cabinets


New House Cabinets


New House Cabinets


All the drawers are the non-slam kind, where you push them on their sliders, they retract and then close themselves. You can't push them closed or you'll break the sliding/closing mechanism. So I had to come home and explain this to Dollar, "If you break my drawers [pause for effect], I'll break your legs." He nodded solemnly, because he knew I wasn't kidding. I might also have insinuated that he wouldn't really be allowed into the kitchen at all. He gave the impression that he'd be perfectly fine with that.

Corner tub for the master bath was put in. Champagne* and bubble baths every night!

Master bath tub


*Miller High Life, "The champagne of beers"

Beige sinks. I'm kind of wondering why I picked that color now (I chose white for the other bathrooms and I wanted something different for the master bath). I'm hoping I can choose tiles for the floor and around the tub that will tie it in.

Master bath sinks


Last Friday the pieces were delivered to the site:

House Pieces Delivered


House Pieces Delivered


House Pieces Delivered


There's the house. Can you see it?

House Pieces Delivered


Me neither. But soon.

Garage foundation:

House Pieces Delivered


This is the garage:

House Pieces Delivered


House foundation:

House Pieces Delivered


And then finally on Tuesday, the house was assembled while it was freezing and snowing. When I drove up in the morning, this is what I saw: Liftoff of the first piece:

House on site


House on site


House on site


House on site


House on site


Getting ready for the 2nd piece:

House on site


House on site


House on site


House on site


At this point, after standing around and watching for hours, I couldn't feel any of my body parts and my words were starting to sound like, "Muh whah hmn, mha muh." I left to go visit with my grandmother, who lives close by. I came back to:

House on site


Woooow. It looks like a house and everything.

House on site


Lego pieces:

House on site


Buy stock in SC Johnson, because I'm going to go through lots of Windex.

House on site


I'm so happy and excited (and relieved that it was put together before the blizzard yesterday).

No comments: