Tuesday

[knitting] Odessa

This month's hat for Hat Club at White River Yarns is Odessa:

Odessa


Pattern: Odessa by Grumperina (free at Ravelry)

Needles: US 4 (ribbing), US 6 (rest of the hat)

Yarn: Jaeger Baby Merino, taupe, 1.2 balls (I believe this yarn has been discontinuted, but Jaeger Matchmaker Merino DK is pretty much the same thing)

Beads: Size 6 seed beads from Vermont Beadworks in White River Jct. There are lots of great beads here large enough for knitting. And if they don't carry something you want but you see it in one of their books, they can order it for you.

Mods: Did "make 1" for all the "yarn overs". This made the hat a tad more arduous to complete. And I think the puckering is from the "make 1"s. I still need to block the hat to smooth it out.

But she is pretty, no? The beads look clear in this picture but they are different colors- yellow, green, purple. They show up stronger under florescent lights.

I've only knit with beads once before- a beaded mohair shrug that makes me feel like the Cookie Monster when I wear it. The whole project left a bad taste in my mouth but I was recently able to borrow a Lucy Neatby video on knitting with beads that made me go "Yeah. Okay. I can do that. That's clever."

Now I need to find more beaded-knit projects...

If you need some Odessa inspiration. There are lots of Odessa hats on Flickr, too.

2 comments:

gayle said...

I tried knitting with beads once and ended up frustrated and grumpy. For that reason, I left out the beads while knitting Ice Queen.
Maybe I'll give Odessa a try. Sure is pretty!

Shelby said...

Very pretty. I still want to try this some day.