Monday

[knitting] Hats

I closed out 2008 with a few new hats.

One that was gifted away as a Christmas present:

Turkish Patterned Cap


Pattern: Turkish Patterned Cap from Hats On! by Charlene Schurch

Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, Wheat, 1.5 balls. Valley Yarns Northampton, Dark Gray, 1 ball.

Needles: US 5

Size: Large

Mods: Did a hemmed brim rather than a braided one, which I hear tends to roll up.

*****

This one was just a quickie for me...

Turn a Square


Pattern: Turn a Square by Jared Flood (Brooklyn Tweed)

Yarn: Misc wool from the Norwich Farmer's Market. I can't remember the name of the farm that this came from :(

Needles: US 8

Size: One size.

Mods: I don't think the jogless jog worked all the well with the two rows of pink. It was less noticeable on the three rows of grey. I would suggest that if someone does this hat, work three rows of the main and contrast colors each. But this will affect how much yarn you need.

*****

And my new favorite hat:

Watch Cap


Pattern: My own. Just knit lots and lots of ribbing, switch to stockinette, decrease, end.

Yarn: Plymouth Suri Merino, off white, two balls.

Needles: US 7

Size: 96 stitches.

It started out as a simple ribbed thing but I eventually made the decision to make the brim long enough to roll twice, then went to stockinette for the rest.

Watch Cap


I love it. It's simple, really soft, and covers my ears well. I can see this hat getting a lot of wear.

2 comments:

gayle said...

Nice hats!
I have the Schurch book - I've knit several of the hats, and have been very pleased with all of them.
Your merino hat looks very warm - just the thing for those scary negative-degree days!

Kihwa said...

This hat looks very soft and warm. I really like the color as well. and I'm sure this will look good on you.
=) Amy, your blog is full of amazing stuff. I'm very impressed.