Thursday

[cooking] Recent recipes

I've been trying to improve my cooking. In the past couple of months I've made:

- Irish Stew
This is from The Joy of Cooking and it was perfect. I had a mere pound of lamb shoulder chops so I cut the recipe in half. It was perfect- I loved how the thinly sliced potatoes broke down and thickened the stew. Great dinner for two using only lamb, potatoes, carrots, onions, some herbs and stock.

- Thomas Keller's Favorite Simple Roast Chicken
This is my go-to roast chicken recipe. It's so easy and it always comes out great. Dollar and I eat the legs and wings for supper, then I use the breast/body meat to make chicken salad the next day.

- Ina Garten's Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Made these to bring to Thanksgiving and while they were crispy, salty and delicious straight out of the oven, they didn't fare so well after sitting around for a couple hours before we ate. AND it was completely unpleasant to return home to house that smelled like old, stinky brussels sprouts.

- Desert Candy's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Dollar called home and said he had to work late. I told him I was in the middle of making these cookies and he said he was coming home.

- Lobster and Corn Chowder
I just improvised this, using my trusty Clam Chowder recipe, but adding Lobster and Corn. I brought this to a Soup Swap.

- Pulled Pork
Made this as part of a Mexican Menu when we had a dinner guest over. We had warmed fajita wrappers that we filled with pork (I left a pork loin to slow cook in the crock pot all day, then I shredded it and lightly added spices based on what I read in this carnitas recipe), salsa, lettuce, jack cheese, red onions, and a side of red kidney beans and rice.

-Pancakes
I'm not a fan of pancakes- I think they're boring. Dollar is the #1 superfan of pancakes but the poor guy never gets them because I'm the cook and I mostly just cook what I like. One night he said he would like pancakes for supper. Pancakes. For supper. And bacon. I'm even less of a fan of having breakfast for supper. I don't understand it. It's like driving on the other side of the road. You know it's legal and it's okay but it feels weird.

I've got more things in the freezer to play with:

- Soups from the Swap
- Local beef chorizo
- Duck

That's right- A WHOLE DUCK! I saw it at the grocery store and couldn't resist! I have NO IDEA what to do with it but I'm so excited to cook a duck!

No comments: