Thursday

[funny] Trained monkeys? Are you sure?

Listen to Act I of the following episode from This American Life: A Little Bit of Knowledge:

"Small Thoughts in Big Brains. This American Life producer Alex Blumberg investigates a little-studied phenomenon: Children who get a mistaken idea in their heads about how something works or what something means, and then don't figure out until well into adulthood that they were wrong."

I can't think of any of my own examples concerning this, but it's probably because I haven't been corrected yet. I will say that a couple years ago I was corrected by a co-worker on the pronunciation of the character "&". It's not like you ever need to say it (one would just say the word and in conversation) and you only rarely see it spelled out. So we're at work, tacking letters and characters onto a board and I ask for an "amfursan". Am-fur-san. My co-worker immediately says, "What did you just say?" Uh... am... amfursan. "Do you mean AM-PER-SAND?" Whatever, you know what I'm talking about- Just give me one!

Ampersand. Amfursan. That's how it's always sounded to me.

2 comments:

Kari said...

When I was little, I used to think that bands lined up outside of radio stations and would be invited in to play their songs. When they were done playing, I thought they went to the end of the line, which is how we could hear the song again later. I loved the Stich It Kit, and you're right, the sewing book rocks as does your secret pal, who is tottaly spoiling you and makes me look bad. Although I did send my SP Kool Aid because they don;t have it in Europe where she lives.

amy said...

A co-worker of mine sent someone in Europe Kool Aid as well, but accidentally sent the kind that had sugar. So it was a double bummer- it wasn't the right kind to dye with AND it was more expensive to send be/c it was heavier.

I think she even ended up sending the right kind over. I would have just been like, "Oops. My bad. Well, have fun drinking it 'cuz I'm not sending you anything else."