Thursday

What is up

Watching: Sex and the City (Season 1)
I knew these girls were easy but come on. I’ll keep watching because I’m sickly fascinated with the world they’re living in but the whole premise is one tragic female cliché. Loosely based on the book by Candice Bushnell, it all comes off as a stereotype about how modern women act. It’s all about how you look and how soon until your next sexcapade. I refuse to believe that there are real women who act this way. If they do, they should take stock in themselves and sort their shit out. I’m afraid, though, that this whole series only vindicates their lifestyle.

Doing: Crocheting a blanket for Mother’s Day
Okay. I’m not so sure now that this “home-made blanket” thing is such a good idea after all. I’m using really pretty yarn made by Manos del Uruguay but it’s wicked expensive. Seriously, by the time I’m done I wouldn’t be surprised if I spent $400.00 on fucking yarn. Let’s be honest, you can’t put a price tag on the love you have for the woman who gave birth to you so many years ago but if you could, I bet it’d less than $400.00. I love my mom but she’s psyched if I stop by her house just to say hi. If I give her a Kit-Kat on Mother’s Day she’d be appreciative. No doubt she’ll adore the blanket but she really won’t have any idea how much it cost. If she knew, I think she’d slap me for wasting so much money.

Listening: Alanis Morissette
I don’t know why, but I pulled out Jagged Little Pill the other day and I haven’t stopped listening to it since. I first got this album when I was a senior in high school and I don’t think there’s one song I don’t like on it. I got her next album, Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, when it came out and dug that as well. I didn’t get Under the Rug Swept, but I think I will now. She’s a really good singer. And she has a new album, So Called Chaos, coming out on May 18. I’ve been streaming the first single, “Everything”, and I like it.

Reading: Not Much
I’ll read a bit of The Kalahari Typing School for Men here and a little Hellboy: Wake the Devil there, but I haven’t been too focused on reading lately.

Playing: Harvest Moon
Not so much, though. I think my Harvest Moon binge this past weekend kind of desensitized me. I printed some Harvest Moon help off the internet and got dubbed a “cheater” at home. No fair. It’s not cheating, it’s called “being informed.”

Self-Realization: I get borderline hysterical about my cooking.
I made a couple cheesecakes the other day, one for home and one to bring to work for a party. There were a bunch of people over at my house on Monday and I offered them some. I tried it first and immediately started freaking out over the fact that it was still warm and, therefore, still soft. No wait, I don’t think you understand when I say “freaking out.” I mean that after I swallowed the first bite I wanted to retract my offer for everyone to have some. I kept saying that it wasn’t good and that it’d be so much better if it had cooled longer in the fridge. It tasted more like a cream cheese custard rather than a firm cheesecake. I didn’t like the way that the blueberries and raspberries made the bottom half of the filling purple and the top half was still off-white. I didn’t like that I sliced the strawberries a little too thick. And I was ashamed that I didn’t make the graham cracker pie shell from scratch. I didn’t actually say all that, it just running rapdily through my head. When I cook, I want everything to be fucking per-fect and I don’t understand it because I think I’m pretty laid back, you know? Maybe I just have a neurosis about this one thing. Anyway, when everyone had had a slice and came to tell me how good it was, I said “Oh, thank you.” But in my head I knew they were just placating me because I freaked out.

No comments: