Thursday

[travel] Eating around DC

Was in DC for a few days early in the week. No pictures from the conference but it was good- the keynote speaker from the National Audubon Society was great and it was interesting to see how they're using GIS in their efforts toward the conservation of birds. There is a really cool Plants For Birds section to their website, where you can search for native plants based on your zip code and find trees/shrubs/flowers that benefit specific species. Even with all the wild land around me, I'm going to pick up a few new shrubs that I don't have (specifically witch-hazel, pussy willow, snowberry) and put them around for the birds.

Anyway, the rest of my time was spent drinking and eating around the city. One of the first places I visited was the DC Milk Bar:

My first Milk Bar visit. Cold brew coffee and cookie.

I was so looking forward to this and was kind of disappointed. The cold brew coffee was meh and I got one of the famous cookies to go: cornflake-chocolate chip-marshmallow cookie. I know, it's my own fault for ordering something with ingredients like that but it (a) hurt my teeth, and (b) was greasy. It was kind of gross, honestly. I'll chalk this up as a place that doesn't live up to the hype.

Went to Lauriol Plaza for dinner one night. My go-to order at any Mexican place is carne asada- if they do that well, then I know the place is good. This carne asada was the best I've ever had in my life, hands down, no joke. Even thinking about it now makes me angry that I won't be able to have it again until I go back down. It was a strip of skirt steak (not chunks of meat like carne asada usually comes as) perfectly med-rare on a skillet with peppers and onions. Guac and tomato salsa on the side. Warm tortillas. Bowls of rice and stew-y beans (not refried beans). It was excellent.

Got my Happy Hour DC oyster fix:

Oysters!

Mmm, briney oysters from MA and RI.

One morning, I went to Smoked & Stacked behind the convention center. I ordered the Cali Girl breakfast sandwich: cured salmon, over easy egg, avocado, tomato and sprouts. 

Breakfast. Salmon egg avocado tomato sprouts. Cold brew.

And their nitro draft cold brew coffee was ridiculously good. So good, in fact, that I came back in the afternoon for another.


Best Cubano yesterday at Busboys and Poets. And excellent bloody marys, as well.

Cubano sandwich. Again, this is another thing that if I see it on a menu, I'll order it. A touch heavy on the mayo but definitely one of the best I've ever head. The entire menu at this place looks excellent. Great baby kale side salad and bloody marys, too. Will come back here for sure when I'm in town again.

Last dinner was at Virtue Feed & Grain in Alexandria. I've been before before and their pork shank dinner is fantastic. This time I got one of their Valentine entrees: lamb chops, creamy polenta, snow peas and a balsamic reduction. Everything I love. I had to stop myself from licking the plate clean. This meal was so good and something I'm going to try to replicate at home asap. Like maybe this weekend to make up for being away during Valentine's Day this year.

No comments: