Wednesday

[cooking] Apple Pie Time

This past Saturday I went to the first pick-your-own weekend at my local orchard. The trees were in a lower orchard that I hadn't picked in before but it was beautiful out.

Poverty Lane Orchards


Only Cortland and McIntosh varieties available to pick.

What a day for apple picking at #povertylaneorchards

🍏🍃🍏🍃🍏🍃🍏🍃🍏🍃

I picked one reusable shopping bag full, which (which a bag of pre-picked pears) came to about $20.

I was pretty anxious to make my first fall apple pie.

Apple Pie

You can see one of the apples has a little nibble taken out of it. I thought the meat of the apple was tart but otherwise rather flavorless. Fine for pie but not awesome for eating out of hand. I will probably pick again in a month- I wonder if the apples will taste better then.

Even in the picture below, the sliced apples look a little green instead of being completely white:

Apple Pie

Oh well. I mixed the sliced apples with lemon juice, vanilla and applejack brandy. Then dusted it all with a blend of sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon. No picture of me rolling out the dough... because it wasn't pretty. I think I need to let the dough rest after I take it out of the fridge- I have such a hard time with the edges splitting apart.

Apple Pie

Put the top on, crimp the edges and cut holes. I tried to make a pattern that lost it's definition so I just starting poking holes everywhere.

Apple Pie

I brushed the top with milk and sprinkled coarse sugar. Also, before pouring in the fruit I brushed the inside of the bottom crust with milk. The King Arthur Flour cookbook (I used the recipe "Best Apple Pie" from the Baker's Companion) said to do this to create a protein barrier between the bottom crust and fruit, which would help prevent the bottom crust from getting soggy. It worked!

After baking:

Apple Pie

Man, I love smelling a pie baking. I love taking it out of the oven. I love looking at it. I love it a la mode:

Apple Pie

The next pie will have a better crust design and look less... stabby.

No comments: