Tuesday

[gardening] Spiderwort

Last summer I bought about a dozen new daylily cultivars from Olallie Daylily Gardens in VT. I planted most in a straight line along one flower bed. In the middle of the line is a thriving clump of Spiderwort:

Spiderwort - Tradescantia virginiana

I don't mind this plant- I like the look of it but... it's not a daylily. Did I accidentally buy this? Did the nursery accidentally give me this instead of a daylily? I told my coworker that it makes no sense that this is growing in the line of new daylilies. He said that it's kind of an aggressive weed and a bit of spiderwort might have been mixed in to the daylily when I bought it.

I get home and sonofabitch- I see a little bit of daylily foliage mixed in but the clump is 80% Spiderwort. I'm going to dig the whole thing up, extract the dayliles and replant the spiderwort somewhere else. So... yay free perennial but I don't know if I'll have any blooms from that bit of daylily this year, since it has spent all season being choked out? Hopefully I'll be able to completely separate them.

No comments: