Friday

[gardening] Evening Primrose

Bought this plant at an annual book/plant/pie sale (all my favorite things!) at a local library. The woman told me the name, twice, but I still forgot. It's one of the few plants that the woodchucks have left alone. I do remember the woman saying that the flowers are like big, yellow buttercups. As I watched the plant, the flower pods were red. I didn't really believe that the flowers would be yellow but the red pods have started to bust open and out pops a big, yellow buttercup-like flower.

The flower pods are red before they burst open yellow. I don't know the name of this plant so I'm just going to call it a Ketchup Mustard flower.


Red pods. Yellow flowers. I was just going to call this a Ketchup Mustard Flower. Curiosity got the better of me and I looked it up. It's an evening primrose- Oenothera fruticosa- also knows as sundrops.

Speaking of primrose, I put in a couple new types this spring and I think one of them is going to bloom soon. It should look interesting- there's while powder under the leaves on on the stem. I was worried that it was a powdery mildew but it's a natural thing with some primrose called farina or 'flour'. 

No comments: