Monday

[vermont] Ramp season

Well, after being teased with 70 degree weather a couple of weeks ago and then enduring 40 - 50 degree days since, we finally got some spectacular weather this weekend. I went out with a cup of coffee Saturday first thing in the morning and didn't come back in until 2pm. Same for Sunday. 

All three hyacinths that I put in a few weeks ago opened up.

Hyacinths are blooming and smelling so nice. 🌷💨👃☺️

I'm glad I planted these by the front porch- you could smell them whenever a breeze went by.

The daffodils finally popped open:

Daffodils started popping open today! It's so yellow it hurts my eyes. 💛😎🌟

I dug a new part-shade flower bed (this is at 50% done Saturday afternoon) along an old rock wall:

Digging a new shade bed. Will finish the rest tomorrow. #ohmyachingback #dirtylife

I'm going to move some hostas over here when I divide them in a week. I should have some columbine seedlings to add this season. This would be a good place to dump some foxglove seeds. This spot definitely gets covered with leaves in the fall and I might leave it to emulate a forest floor garden- and move some of the trout lilies and springbeauty down from the woods to here. 

Speaking of springbeauty- I found some (Claytonia virginia) on the walk up to pick ramps:

Virginia #springbeauty (#claytonia virginica) all over the hardwood forest slope. So tiny but so pretty.

These are so small, they're easy to miss (or ignore) but I'm so glad I stopped to take close-up pictures. They are gorgeous.

Claytonia virginica

I made it to the patch of wild leeks (ramps):

Ramp time. Hiked up and picked a lot. Now to clean and wash them all.

The picked ramps, all washed and bundled and ready to use:

#ramps washed and ready to use.

I think I'm going to make one more trip up this weekend to pick some for my mom. In the meantime, I've got lots of compound butter and pesto to make. 

No comments: