Tuesday

[misc] Press button for Perfect Turkey

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I was able to put together a sit-down dinner for 14 people, with real dishes and everything. I didn't want to use throw-aways. Thank goodness my neighbor lent me extra chairs, dishes and silverware.

I picked up a 23.7 lb turkey from Lincoln Farm and it turned out beautiful. Could be because of the "Perfect Turkey" button that my oven has. At 6:15 am on Thursday, I'm sauteing onions and celery in butter for the stuffing and sleepily staring at the turkey button, looking at the instruction manual to the oven and holding the special probe in my hand that plugs into the oven and then into the turkey. I stuffed the turkey, threw it into the oven, inserted the probe and let the oven do it's magic perfect turkey thing.

That turkey was PERFECT. My first turkey ever and it was brown all over, moist and juicy, flavorful... and the whole thing cooked in 4 hours. I can't even believe it. I am taking no credit- I think it was the fresh bird from a local farm and the perfect turkey button that deserve all the credit. What did I do. I basted it.

I wish I'd taken a picture of it but by the time my sister mentioned it, the legs were off and I was already hacking away at the breasts. :(

As good as the turkey was, I don't want to eat any more turkey until next year. Dollar happily ate leftovers after leftovers, day after day. I was like, "Ugh, how many times can you eat turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy?" The answer is 6 times over 3 days. And really, I think he only stopped because we ran out. 

Here are some new pictures of the kitties. MF and Santana weren't into the turkey. I tried to give them little pieces as I was stripping the carcass for leftovers. They weren't into it.

IMG_0958

IMG_0985

IMG_0996



3 comments:

Patricia said...

I have never known a cat to turn their nose up at turkey!

amy said...

I know! The cats love ham and chicken and cornish hens and fish. But this turkey? They were "meh- not your best work". See if I ever given them a 2nd chance at turkey again, harumph.

gayle said...

I'm still marveling at your 'Perfect Turkey' button. Now we just need a dishwasher with a 'Clean Up Kitchen' button...